Well, it has been 6 long months since
someone had the brilliant idea to get Braden fish for his
5th birthday. You may remember that less than a week after getting them
Tom had 9 babies. Tom then had
another batch of babies about a month later and life in the quiet fish tank was no more. We had as many as 12 fish, all named, all loved. But, after 6 months the only one left is Larry, the original fish in the tank. A beautiful blue Beta. We have actually enjoyed going to the pet store and deciding which fish we would replace. We have had silver mollys, black mollys (like Tom), Mickey Mouse platies in red and silver. We also had Neon Tetras, and they are a schooling fish, so when one died the others quickly followed. Lame. And even a tiger platie; That last one was a doosey. She brought with her the infamous disease ICH. "Ick" is a really bad bacteria that basically makes the fish's scales fall off. Fun, right? So we are down to just Larry, a silver Molly named Maggie and one of Tom's babies, Tommy.

Well, Maggie thought I was having too good of a time flushing the 8 or so fish we have lost in the last week because of the ICH, so she felt the need to resupply the tank herself... On the same day as the wasp invasion at my house, little miss silver molly went and had herself some babies. Braden and I fished out (
no pun intended)
8 babies and put them in the tiny tank so they wouldn't get eaten. Then the next morning I found
5 more. Then last night
3 more little invisible, hard as heck to catch, were discovered under the bubbler. I'll give you a second to add it up. Yep,
16.
This fish just had 16 babies! Whew, I am
so glad I am not a fish.
I was trying to take photos of the babies, but they are translucent and only about a half a centimeter long. At least Tom's babies were black and easy to spot. Poor Maggie, after that labor I bet she wishes the ICH had gotten her first.
My new outlook on the fish purchasing thing, is that we will not replace any fish in the big tank until
after the trip this summer. And, I am assuming, of the 16 babies only 3 or 4 will last long enough to even make it back to the other tank. And no, we will not be naming them...I am really not a pet person...
21 comments:
Wow....you have had a lot of fish drama. And 16 babies over 3 days, no thank you. I will remember to never let my kids get fish.
Hey Caryn! Remember me...?? Robyn's friend? I'm in total awe. My girls would LOVE to have a fish that actually had babies. We've had more fish over the past 10 years than I care to have, but not a single, solitary one of them has ever done anything 'cool' like have babies. I'd probably have a small attack over it, but it would still be a fun thing to see.
Yeah I am actually still planning on coming but shhh!! If she ever found out I would be in so much trouble. I already got a talking to yesterday for having to take my son to school. See ya there!!!!
Oh my heck...16 babies and lots of dead fish...how do you do it!
So glad I'm not a fish! What a fun fish house yours has been!
yeah, I"m not a pet person either. What's up with kids loving pets so darn much!!?? Good luck with the fish!
LOL I'm really surprised that you still have 3 original fish. We let Stratton get a couple fish when he was 2 or 3 and they died within one week! We bought more and they died within a few days! I was relieved and happy to just get rid of everything. You are so good to keep it up, 16 babies and all! I'm impressed with your fishie-mothering skills.
Holy cow... I can't believe how many babies you have had to deal with. We are very lucky to only be able to reproduce so many offspring at once. Can you imagine being the proud mom of 16 kids? YIKES! Gives me anxiety just thinking of it. Phew!
I think I will benefit from your experience and put having fish on my list of things not to do....you should talk to Amanda (are you on her blog yet?). They had a fish tank built in to their house!
You have some fertile water over there! Guess who else wants a fish??? My soon to be 5 year old, Emily. I hope my water is not as fertile as yours:)
She did look fat that day!I wish I could take some. I loved having the goldfish! But, with 2 crazy dogs, Yazee and a baby on the way, I don't think I can take on anything else! Have fun!
Crud, make that 17...
I am going to stop looking for them anymore...
Wow! That's a lot of fish and I never knew that life was so tough as a fish. I think it's great you have pets for your kids.
Well you may not be a pet person, but you are a patient and fun mom!! Your boys are lucky that u cared enough to scoop them out and save them from the ICK!! I might not have noticed and we would have had 15 floaters, and probably 1 sinker too!! SICK!! I guess in an instance like this Dory's song is appropo "just kepp swimming, swimming, swimming, ha, ha, ha, ha when you wa you got to SWIIIIM..." (man that's a catchy tune- I guess I really like Nemo!)
We got fish for Forrest's 3rd birthday and also had some beautiful neon tetras (I think 8 or 10 of them) but we also had two shark fish (which are getting huge) and therefore the neons didn't last long. Didn't think that one out to well did we? However, none of ours have had babies. We thought one of our Shark fish were pregnant, but we never saw any babies so either the father got to them first or we were mistaken! Oh, and we haven't named any of our fish, less attached that way.
Caryn that is so funny! We did the fish thing already and finally quit after several years of Denny and I feeding the fish and cleaning the tank. If you are looking to get rid of the fish we gave are fish to Dan Porter. His fish eats other fish. My kids were not to happy to hear that! They didnt even notice for a couple days that they were gone.
I used to think betas were immortal. We had one and I put it to the test. We went on a two week vacation- no pet sitter. When we came back it was dead. So we haven
't had fish since then.
Did the total count stay at 17 mollies, Caryn? I can't remember. You are good to try to keep up with the little things. We had our share of bad and good luck with fish when you were little, didn't we? Can't believe we had three tanks at one time - one in the fire place and one on each side, raising babies! By the way, any of you who do want to raise fish - mollies and platys are live bearers, as are guppies. The rest lay eggs, so the only thing we ever had hatch (and get immediately eaten by their dad) were some angel fish.
I guess I'm lucky - fish are my husband's hobby, so I get to enjoy the saltwater fish tank, and he takes care of it. Yeah! However, when we tell the kids we don't need a dog because we already have pets (fish), they moan and groan. Oh well! :)
I love it! I honestly have never heard of so many reproductive fish in one tank! Amazing...for someone right? Sorry about the wasps fiasco, what a nightmare! Hopefully you run in with pesky creatures is over for the year!
We had fish for a while. Didn't do to well. But, whenever I think about fish tanks I remember when you guys lived in Sandy and I would come stay there, your dad always had fish tanks and I loved to go see them.
Post a Comment